I was all ready to talk about my Vegas trip and watching my dad give his retirement speech, but then I got double nominated for the Liebtster award!
“The what?” you ask. That’s what I said when I heard about it. It is an awesome way for people to find new blogs they might like and for bloggers to pay it forward.
The general rules include:
- nominating at least 1 other blogger
- answering the following 11 questions, listed below
But first I want to say something about the awesome bloggers who nominated me.
Laurie from the frugal farmer is an amazing mom of 4 kids (who she homeschools!) on a farm in the Midwest. She is super financially savvy and enjoys dabbling in the kitchen. She basically already does everything that we want (or are trying) to do.
Having 3 kids myself (who my wife homeschools), I can only imagine having another one to add to the commotion. I like messing around in the kitchen as well when I have time, and we are also in the Midwest. We do not, however, live on a farm 🙂 Anyway, thanks Laurie!
Luke Fitz from Financially Fitz is a CPA. I could go on, but that’s really all it takes to be awesome. Thanks Luke!
Okay, okay, I won’t leave it there. I only had to read one post by Luke, and I knew instantly that I liked this guy. I had recently been trying to boil down the reasons why people generally don’t feel comfortable talking openly about money. Then I read his Four Paradigms of Money post, in which he totally nailed it! That’s when I really knew he was solid.
Okay now for the questions:
- How did you decide on the name of your blog? The original idea was to have a place where people could post their personal financial information for others to see and give feedback on. Financial transparency is a major theme of my blog, and that’s how I came up with the whole Bare Budget idea.
- Where does your blogging inspiration come from? My life! And yours! I think using real life stories to demonstrate financial principles is a lot of fun. I come from a pretty close family and now have a little family of my own, so the blog is very family oriented. I have also always been able to express myself much better through writing.
- What is it that you love most about blogging? Helping people and meeting people.
- What is your favorite food? It used to be my mom’s chicken curry, but I think pizza has edged into the number 1 spot. I would love to franchise a Little Caesar’s someday. Those hot’n’readys hold a special place in my heart as they helped me recover from a lot of lower-than-hoped-for test scores in college.
- What is your favorite thing to drink (alcoholic or non-alcoholic)? Cold pink lemonade after mowing the lawn. (Not a riding mower!)
- What is an item that you cannot live without? My Pacific Coast Down Surround pillow. Seriously, I smile almost every night when I realize I have the whole night to look forward to on that thing. So comfortable.
- What are 11 random facts about you?
- I speak Spanish and love all things Latinoamerican.
- I play the organ at church
- I was a dad at 24
- I grew up in Las Vegas
- I love post apocalyptic movies and shows
- Volleyball was my high school sweet heart
- I can get you sweet deals on brand new appliances
- When I was 14, I broke my collar bone in 2 places while cross country skiing and had to be carried off the mountain on a snowmobile
- I’m a CPA, but I do not love accounting–wait, did I just say that!?
- I love Chicago–not the city, the band
- I can’t roll my tongue
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be? See random fact #1
- If you could meet anyone from history, who would it be? This was one of my MBA admission essay questions. I had to make it up then, and I’m not going to make it up now.
- What is your favorite outdoorsy activity? Skateboarding.
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years? In Nicaragua.
And for my nomination, I’m going to nominate Emma from Money Can Buy Me Happiness, because she’s my age and lives a fascinating lifestyle, splitting her time between Ireland and New Zealand. And she shares her financial details (you know that was a prerequisite)!
So there you go. Now back to business!